Plan Your Visit + Photography Rules
Chaptico, MD • Virginia Beach, VA
The 2021 Season is Almost Here!
We expect to open June 19 — stay tuned for the official announcement.
Sunflower Mazes Expected to Open in...
We look forward to your visit to our sunflower mazes and pick-your-own flower locations.
Bring your friends and family — it’s a great place to explore and enjoy the outdoors and nature.
TIMING YOUR VISIT
Things you need to know as you plan a visit:
Bloom Status At Opening
We open our MD sunflower mazes when blooms are in abundance, but not quite at peak bloom.
This is achieved when we have about 70% of the maze is in bloom, typically occurs within the week of opening. We announce when we’ve reached this status.
How Many Days Maze/Field is Operational
When conditions are perfect, we can expect each maze and PYO flower field to last ABOUT 21 DAYS. BIG DISCLAIMER: this is 100% dependent on weather and field conditions and there are no guarantees!
Best Times of Day to Visit
If you are sensitive to heat, mornings and late afternoon-to-evenings are the best time to visit. Sunsets are typically gorgeous! And if we’re lucky, we’ll have lightning bugs.
We request that you abide by these requirements. We reserve the right to refuse entry if these requirements are not followed:
- Wear family-friendly attire
- Be respectful to other visitors
- Do not destroy, trample or damage the sunflowers
- Stay on provided paths; do not create your own
- Dogs are allowed if well-behaved, leashed and cleaned up after
- No smoking on any grounds
- Do not touch the wildlife
- The historical home near the maze is a private residence and off-limits. Please do not trespass.
To enjoy your experience more, we recommend that you bring the following items:
- Sunscreen, hat, sun protection
- Closed-toed shoes
- Picnic, to enjoy hanging out and dining al fresco, among the blossoms
If you are taking home flowers, we highly recommend you bring the following:
- Large container/bucket and water to transport your flowers home
- You are welcome to bring your own cutting shears and collection bucket/basket
- Cut flowers do not like hanging out in hot cars! Please plan on getting your flowers home and into cool temps and water as soon as possible.
General Photography Rules
We encourage everyone to record and share their experience at Goldpetal Farms! Guest snapshots, videos, and individual or family photographs taken by an unpaid photographer for private use and for non-commercial purposes are permitted without an additional fee.
- All photography must be without disruption to our operations or other guests.
- Remain on maze pathways, cut-flower rows or grassy areas at all times.
- Do not handle plants, flowers, plant labels or containers.
- We reserve the right to monitor and restrict equipment.
- Smoking and alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
- Animals are prohibited, except certified service dogs.
- If asked by a person not to take pictures of that person, the request must be honored. If the
picture has already been taken, it must be deleted upon request.
- Operation or use of any drones, unmanned aircraft/flying systems, and remotely- controlled flying machines, motorized or not, is strictly prohibited.
- Photography in the maze and on the grounds is permitted only during business hours. If you wish to photograph during off-hours, please contact us to inquire about arranging the day and time.
Individuals, groups and photographers not abiding by any portion of the policies and rules will be asked to leave Goldpetal Farms. The rules and policies are subject to change.
$50 DAY PASS • $150 SEASON PASS
Professional photography fees apply if your are taking photos for the purpose of:
- selling your images commercially and as a business
- taking session photos for hire (portraits, lifestyle, fashion, etc.)
Session photography requires regular admission fees/requirements for your guests.
We don't require reservations be made (at this time) but we highly recommend verifying the weather and maze conditions before your visit. We can be reached at (240) 587-7312.